Start A Lawn Care Business

Does a lawn care business
need an applicator’s license to spray RoundUp?

If a customer asks you to spray any sort of lawn chemical, you should seriously consider calling your local Agricultural Extension office to check licensing requirements in your area. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is becoming more diligent in verifying the qualifications of commercial application of chemicals by lawn care and landscaping companies.

Landscaping and Lawn Chemicals

In addition to laws governing actual application, other laws restrict storage and transportation of certain commercial chemicals.  For instance, if you are transporting a chemical to be used for commercial application you likely need to carry a MSDS within your vehicle along with proper personal safety gear and, possibly, a placard on your vehicle.

I’m really not trying to be preachy here but I have literally observed companies receiving $1500 fines for improper commercial application and/or transportation of lawn chemicals as innocuous as RoundUp.

Alternatives to RoundUp

For many chemicals, there are easy and cheap alternatives.  For instance, many landscapers use roundup to spray grass before starting a new flower bed or before putting down mulch. 
RoundUp is a short-term solution to protect a mulch bed from weeds. 
RoundUp only works on existing weeds.  New weed growth which will appear within weeks will not be killed and will invade your garden beds quickly. 
A three-pronged approach of landscape fabric, proper mulch selection, and proper mulch depth is a much better solution.

Stay safe and protect your lawn care business by knowing your local laws.

Learn more about the lawn care business:

Start A Lawn Care Business